Friday, October 28, 2016

Working through Procrastination

I have always been either really good at time management or had a horrid procrastination problem. Sophomore year was an example of exemplary time management. I finished all of my homework during school and almost never had to do any at home. Before the beginning of junior year I had hoped to continue the time management skills I developed last year but unfortunately, my personal life recently grew complicated and messy. After dealing with my own personal issues I simply didn’t have the time or energy to do homework, leading to my worst bout of procrastination yet and making junior year a living hell. About a week ago I decided to take some time to actively work on myself—develop my personality, values, and habits. One of my focuses is time management. Although it’s only been a week, I can already see the effects and benefits of changing my bad habit.
In the past, I typically ended up doing most of my homework before school, during lunch, or during Uni period on the day it was due. I tried to do as much as possible at home, but I suffered from the perpetual paradox of “I’m too stressed from having too much work to be able to actually do any.” My procrastination stressed me out to a horrible extent and added a lot of anxiety to my daily life. This week, I have been taking advantage of my lunch, Uni, and free periods to work on homework instead of using them as naptime or social time. When I had remaining homework after school, I would finish it as soon as I got home from work. I already feel so much lighter on a daily basis, relatively free from responsibilities hanging over my head. I’ve been able to go about the rest of my night without having to worry about what I have to get done before school tomorrow, and I feel much better already.

I suppose this day-late blog post isn’t exactly the best indicator of my new time management, but this slip-up is due to my falling asleep while finishing some particularly boring math homework and not waking up until 4AM rather than procrastination. I hope to be able to continue my improved time management schedule and develop other aspects of myself, and I would strongly recommend working on time management to anyone who suffers from the popular plight of procrastination.

3 comments:

  1. Procrastination is not really a problem that I struggle with, mostly because if I left things until right before they were due I would never finish them. I usually end up doing things as soon as possible because I know that I will not have time to do them later and I know that as things pile up I get more stressed and more unproductive. I'm glad that you are getting better at not procrastinating and I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a great work ethic. Like when I was a subbie I'd write essays two weeks before they were due. Now, I try to get an A with as little effort as possible, it's pretty bad. It gets me pretty stressed whenever I have an essay due the next day, so I've been trying to change by rewarding myself when I don't procrastinate. It's been working okay.
    Relatable post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are feeling better! I think that most people go through a procrastination self-discovery, realizing what works best for them to make the most out of their days. I can tell you have been thinking about this and making some active changes after reading this post, which I think makes the post very specific and interesting to read. Good luck with the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete