Thursday, November 10, 2016

Work, Work, and More Work

Over the past two or three weeks, I went from looking for a job to all of a sudden having three. Three jobs isn’t quite as unbelievable as it sounds. I tutor at a program for underprivileged kids for two hours after school most days and then I have an hour before I have to be at my McDonald’s job until 11pm, although I don’t work at McDonald’s every day. Friday through Sunday I usually have six hours per day of McDonald’s, and every so often I work for a few hours as a skate guard at our local rink. So my hours aren’t bad, but the past couple weeks have been interesting.
It’s been weird to adjust to working so much after having so much free time just a few weeks ago. Now there are days where by the time I get home, I only have six hours until I have to be up to get ready for school. In those six hours I have to eat, do homework, shower, take a bit of much-needed time to unwind after work, and only after I’m done with all that can I sleep. This schedule is perfectly manageable for me, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it’s been piling a bunch of stress onto the stress I already have from schoolwork and my personal life. I already need a lot of time that I can dedicate to myself in order to stay sane, and I haven’t yet figured out where to fit “me time” into my newly busy schedule. The effects are already starting to show as my stress levels rise and my mental health plummets, but I hope that once I’ve had time to get accustomed to this new busyness these effects will shrink as I find ways to fit in me time here and there.
A lot of people ask me why I’d seek out a job, let alone three, when the workload from a school like Uni already takes up so much of its students’ lives. Besides pocket money, I direly need to start saving up. I need a car so that I can actually get to my jobs, and I need to save for all things college. Money that I make and put away will go to college visits, college application fees, books, and tuition itself, all things that I will have to pay for on my own because my mom doesn’t make much. In addition, I thrive on independence and once I find a way to get a car and paychecks start coming in, I will be able to be countlessly more independent than I am now because I’ll be able to buy most of my own food and clothes and the like.

For the reasons that I just mentioned, I do think that soon taking on this workload will be very beneficial to me. It may be a rough patch right now, but I hope to get through it quickly and begin reaping the benefits shortly. It will definitely be interesting to see how it all works out.

5 comments:

  1. Gus, this sounds really crazy, but I appreciate how sure of yourself you are! I definitely vibe with the independence you talk about -- I love the feeling of paying for my own stuff, driving myself to events, and being able to manage my time. I'm not sure what makes me love independence, because I am also a huge home body, but that's beside the point. Anyway, I wish you so much luck in your new jobs, this sounds hectic but in a good way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad props to you. Don't lose sight of yourself within the work, but definitely don't get up. Having three jobs myself, I can tell you the money is nice but the transition is hard. Hang in there, it'll settle down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep doing you Gus. Sounds like it really is a rough time right now, but just give it a bit of time. When I started up my jobs it took some real adjusting. Just take some time to relax each day, even if it's only a few minutes is my only advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that you were able to get a job. It sounds like a really busy schedule managing all three of these jobs. Make sure that you don't get too bogged down in this transition. Good luck with your jobs and the additional workload.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am extremely impressed. You seem so dedicated, with so much responsibility for someone our age. I think with that sort of independence and drive you'll get pretty far in life. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete