Thursday, October 13, 2016

Winter Finals

For some inconceivable reason, as of a couple days ago I simply can’t wait for finals week. I’m not talking about summer finals, since I don’t ever want to have to deal with all my senior friends leaving and I definitely am not looking forward to a year full of college apps and stress, but winter finals instead. As much as I hate taking four or five exams in the span of three days and I detest the bitter winter air and blankets of snow making it impossible to enjoy the outdoors, there’s something almost serene about finals.
I would classify finals as a week of serene chaos and a time during which community and individual independence finds a perfect balance, and it’s strangely lethargic. We’ve all accepted our inevitable failure (even though the majority of us end up with perfectly fine exam grades) and we have been pushed to the point where our stress levels are so high that we don’t even feel stressed anymore. The circumstance results in an environment so filled with stress that it actually ends up being really chill and relaxed. All the irritating flaws and obnoxious annoyances that I find in some of my classmates disappear for a week because everyone is too sleep-deprived and focused to find the time to be annoying. Instead, these irritations are replaced by a feeling of community because nothing brings a group of people together quite like the collective sense of impending doom that is finals week. At the same time, it’s a week that encourages independence since we’re all so focused on studying and not failing our exams that we don’t have much opportunity to lean on or hang out with other people. Finally, the routine of finals week is really nice. Wake up, go to school without bothering to change out of your pajamas, take your exams and trudge your way through the exam-less classes that nobody knows why we still have to go to, come home, study all night, get the smallest amount of sleep you can possibly function on, and repeat. Overall even though finals came straight from hell, the environment that they result in is actually kind of nice.

                While more exams and stress is the last thing I want right now, I still can’t help but look forward to finals. The environment and feeling of finals week sounds really lethargic right now, and plus I absolutely can’t wait for winter break.

7 comments:

  1. This was post was really funny. I haven't thought about this much, so this was really interesting to read. I feel like in some classes finals count for a LOT of your grade, and in some it's like a cumulating project, so some finals week classes are really relaxing and cozy and some are stressful but kind of exciting huge exams. I really liked all the points you brought across in this post (actually all of your posts). I think its true that we come together as a community, and the school kind of calms down. There's less music in the lounge, people wear sweatpants everyday, and its really quiet. I'm looking forward to Mr. Butler's winter party story. Really well-written. I think that the Uni community makes finals more warm and nice with madrigals and everything. And its kinda fun taking an exam in one room with your whole class (like the physics final). It's like the true culmination to the together-ness we've been feeling the whole week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You blend so many elements together in this post and like Sankhya said, it's really really funny! I LOVE finals week -- I'm always so much more emotionally volatile, stressed, and tired, but everyone is. Some of the most intense bonding I've done with my friends has come during finals, I spend so much time focused and zoned in, and I completely agree with what you said: it's weirdly lethargic and serene. Also, the way you counter all the awful parts of finals with the cool stuff they bring out is great, you found an awesome balance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finals is always fun for me because it means you only have to go to school for like half a day. Plus it means I can go eat on green street with friends without a time crunch.
    As for the actual tests, I always seem to over stress, but the food makes up for it.
    I really like your language and words you use, nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea of finals being so bad that it is actually good. I do like how the classes come together as one unified team kinda to conquer finals. Because of that, I'm sad that next semester, American History is our class that our whole grade takes. Next year there will be no unifying academic bond (unless you count P.E.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how thoughtful you were about something I try to push as far back in my brain. You narrated a different side to something that I could never have imagined seeing a bright side to. I like the way you described finals and what they truly are for you. Overall really great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY initial reaction to reading this was "girl, you crazy". Who looks forwards to finals week? But as I kept reading, I see your point. Finals week can actually be quiet relaxing because you have more free time to lounge around with your friends or just sleep in. And there's also that great sense of comradery in the air because you know that everyone is just as stressed and freaked out as you are. It's really a great thing to bond over. So from that aspect, I totally understand why you're excited for finals.

    But I still hate finals week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the points you made in this post, and I completely agree with them. I always liked that finals kind of created an atmosphere where even though every is exhausted, we take comfort in each other's presence. Your voice is hilarious but able to convey your ideas nicely. Good work!

    ReplyDelete