Thursday, September 15, 2016

Perks of being Sixteen

About a month and a half ago I started driving, and I have no idea how I survived sixteen years without a license before then. Everyone said that driving is supposed to be the best thing ever for about two weeks and then the novelty wears off and you’re stuck being the family taxi driver. For me, it has actually become almost an addiction and I find myself getting grumpy and itching to go do something if I’ve gone a few days without it.
I hadn’t expected driving to be so cathartic for me, but I’ve found it immensely improving my mental state through many different ways. Driving tends to clear my head in some unfathomable way and it’s always nice to just go for a drive whenever I’m feeling down. There’s just something about being able to cruise alone down a country road at 11 pm blasting trap rap or French pop music that makes you feel a complete rush of euphoria and bliss. I find it similar to the emotional rush you feel when going through a  large city at night or stepping off a train and finding yourself in a new country for the first time. These moments are some of the rare moments you feel completely content and you can forget about whatever stress you’re dealing with, and they do wonders for the mind.
Driving is also cathartic in a less philosophical and more logical way. When you’re driving and controlling the car and playing whatever music you want, you’re totally in control. Being in control in a situation so delicate that if you twitch badly enough you could take a trip to the hospital (or even the morgue) is terrifying and stressful to some people, but it’s nothing but freeing to me. I like being in control of and having the responsibility for my own life because it allows me to be independent. In addition, I trust myself more than I trust others, so I feel much more comfortable being the one driving and completely at home in front of the steering wheel.
Finally, there’s the infamous freedom that comes with driving. Even though I don’t have a car, my mom usually lets me take the one we have if I want or need to go somewhere. I love being able to just hop in the car and run to Steak N’ Shake at 2 am suddenly for the banana shake I’m craving or make a trip to the store to pick up that face cleanser I’m almost out of. If I need to run to the nearest park and walk a trail to clear my head it’s as easy as jumping in the car. If I’m feeling lonely and bored all I need to do is find someone who is free that I can pick up and go somewhere with. It’s so freeing to be able to go anywhere you want almost anytime you want, and I try to spend as little time idly at home as possible.
Many of my friends still haven’t gotten their license despite being sixteen far longer than I have, and I can’t fathom how they can stand not being able to drive. Frankly, I can’t fathom how I stood it for sixteen years. All I know is I’m so glad I’m finally able to drive and to enjoy the freedom and control that comes with it.

5 comments:

  1. Great description of the various reasons that driving clears your head and gives you a sense of freedom. My dad has always loved to just "go for a drive," and my grandpa was the same way. Sometimes during family gatherings in my home town, various members of my extended family would pile in the car and my grandpa would take us all out for a drive and give us a tour of important family places (the house where he grew up, schools various family members attended, etc.)

    I find driving in town more stressful than relaxing, but I love road trips. Driving on an open highway definitely gives me a feeling of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job at describing how driving affects you positively. I also think that being able to drive is liberating and extremely useful. But I don't feel as emotionally connected to driving as you seem to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Your descriptions made me feel like I was the one driving the car. Reading it really makes me want to take driver's ed ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a nice job making your experience one anyone could relate to. I personally am not completely comfortable driving yet, but you wrote in a way where I could understand how enjoyable driving is. It made me want to go out driving when I read it so I could feel more comfortable and get that same sense of enjoyment that you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally relate in every aspect. There is nothing like being the only one on the road late at night and blasting music. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete